Saturday, May 21, 2011

3 of the best things in life...Combined

  It has occurred to me that making charcuterie may just be slowly evolving from interest to obsession. I often find myself fantasizing about grinding pork and smoking large quantities of meat, and scheduling days off not for socializing or relaxing but for experimenting with lard and hog casings in the kitchen. The more I dabble in the homemade, the more addicting it becomes. The only things I need now are a few pigs to raise and a bigger meat grinder.
  Lately, everything has been about sausage. The combinations and flavors one can make are endless. While bacon is a divine creation, it is not nearly so varied in styles. So what happens when a beer drinking cheese monger starts crafting sausages? Well, you get a Cheddar Beer Sausage. A power trio of superior foods. I refrained from adding any bacon (the 4th super food) to the mix for fear I might marry it.



Dinner
The makings of a very good night


   This sausage is a bulk fresh sausage like the others I have made so far, but half is destined to become links after this weekend. I kept the seasonings fairly simple so the cheese and beer could shine through, just a hint of caraway and red pepper. I used an English farmhouse cheddar and an awesome smoked Marzen as the main ingredients. And just so I wouldn't feel completely ridiculous about having sausage and beer for dinner, I threw in a little spinach and spring onions as a green bed for the tender patties to rest on.



Cheddar Beer Sausage

  I can think of a certain Mr. Dean who can take a hike.


3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I am enjoying your blog. Love your humor. The sausages sound fantastic! HGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds incredibly yummy! I need to get a farm so I can raise a pig or two for you to work with.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Buckhead Thanks! I enjoy writing it!

    @Deb Yes ma'am you do!

    ReplyDelete